Legal support through your Civil Partnership Dissolution
If you have reached a point where you are wanting to dissolve your civil partnership, our team of solicitors can help you. As with the breakdown of any relationship, it can be a traumatic time and receiving expert advice on how to handle the Dissolution is very important to ensure your best interests are looked after. Hepburn Delaney’s civil partnership dissolution solicitors can support you through this process.
Civil Partnership Considerations
Can I get a Civil Partnership Dissolution?
You are required to have been in a Civil Partnership for at least a year before you can apply to the Court to end it. This is called dissolving a Civil Partnership.
There is only one ground for Civil Partnership Dissolution in England and Wales and this is that the civil partnership has irretrievably broken down.
A dissolution petition can be based on one of the following four facts:
- One party has behaved unreasonably such that the parties cannot be expected to continue living together;
- One party has deserted the other for a period of 2 or more years;
- The parties have been separated for a period of 2 or more years AND both consent to the divorce;
- The parties have been separated for a period of 5 or more years.
If any of the above apply, you are entitled to petition for Dissolution.
Generally, as with divorce, dissolution is dealt with by way of agreement between the parties. In this instance, the dissolution is simply a paperwork exercise and will rarely require either party to attend Court.
Civil Dissolution Process
- The first step is to make a dissolution application.
- If your partner agrees to the dissolution you will be granted a conditional order.
- After 6 weeks you can apply for a final order. The court will check that the required time frame has been met and that there is no other reason why you are unable to be granted a final order.
- Once you have your final order, your Civil Partnership has ended and you can enter into another Civil Partnership if you wish.
- Our Civil Partnership Dissolution solicitors will assist with managing this process efficiently as possible. It is important to note that there are regrettably some instances where the Dissolution is contested. If this does happen, we have the expertise to advise you on what to do.
Contact our Civil Partnership Dissolution Solicitors
If you decide to proceed with a Civil Partnership Dissolution and would like to discuss whether any of the facts apply in your case, we suggest that in the first instance you attend our initial fixed fee appointment where we can discuss your options in full.
To get in touch with our Family Team, please:
Call us on 01442 218090
Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
HOW CAN WE HELP?
FROM THE BLOG
“I have had various reasons to take advice and instruct Hepburn Delaney over the last few years and I cannot fault their service, communication skills and plain non jargon explanation of the position they were acting on my behalf.
The advice was excellent, and explanations were exemplary, making the process so much easier. Would not hesitate to recommend”
MEET THE TEAM
GET IN TOUCH
"*" indicates required fields