Court of Protection Solicitors

Applying for a Deputyship Order

If someone loses mental capacity and they have not made a Lasting Power of Attorney for Property and Financial Affairs (see Lasting Powers of Attorney) an application will need to be made to the Court of Protection for a Deputyship Order to appoint one or more people to look after their finances.

The applicant(s) can be family members, close friends or a professional Deputy.

If the Court approves the application it will appoint the applicant (s) as Deputy and they will then be under a duty to act in the best interests of the person who has lost capacity.  For information on how to apply to be a Deputy and the duties involved, please click here. 

At our initial meeting we can discuss the application process in detail and also advise you about your duties as Deputy.  We can then proceed to complete the necessary forms, liaise with the doctor or consultant who will fill out a form concerning mental capacity and apply to Court.  We will then deal with the service of notices and help you with the final stages of the application to obtain the Deputyship Order itself.

The Next Steps

To contact us, please:

Call us on 01442 218090

Send an email to

Click on the link to the right and Contact the Powers of Attorney Team

Working with a family business

Hepburn Delaney was established in 2013 by Jane Hepburn and Rebecca Delaney who had worked together for several years before deciding to set up a specialist family law practice. Our intention has always been to provide a niche, bespoke service to clients seeking advice on a broad range of family matters and we remain committed to this approach.


What our customers say about us